Everyone should be caring for their feet. Here are a few steps to take to help prevent foot problems
· If you have any foot pain, don’t ignore it! If you are experiencing any type of pain call us to set up an appointment with Dr. Gale.
· Check your feet on a regular basis. Look for any changes especially in the color and temperature. Look for changes in the nails. Do they look thick or discolored? This could be fungus developing. Check for cracks, cuts or peeling skin. Peeling or scaling skin can be an indication of Athlete’s Foot. If there is a growth on your foot this is not normal and should be checked by Dr. Gale.
· Make sure to wash your feet regularly and drying them completely. Always make sure to clean in between your toes.
· Toenails should be trimmed straight across and not too short. Do not trim the nails in the corners or on the sides. This could cause ingrown nails. Anyone with diabetes, poor circulation, or heart problems should have someone else treat their feet to help reduce the chance of getting an infection.
· Get shoes that fit properly. When purchasing shoes make sure it is at the end of the day when feet tend to be swollen and are the largest. Make sure to replace your shoes as they wear out.
· Get shoes for the right type of activity or sport. If you are a runner make sure you have the proper running shoes.
· Don’t wear the same shoes every day.
· Don’t go barefoot if at all possible. When you are barefoot you are more likely to get an injury or infection. If you are barefoot or wearing sandals outside make sure to use sunblock on your feet.
· Diabetics should have their feet checked by Dr. Gale at least once a year.