Dakota Foot & Ankle Clinic Blog
Posts for: September, 2016
According to the NCOA every 11 seconds an elderly person is seen in an emergency department for a fall related injury.
Here are 6 steps to help prevent falls:
- Work on building up strength, flexibility, and balance. Find an exercise class and take a friend to make it fun.
- Ask your doctor for an assessment to test your risk of falling. Make sure to provide your doctor with your history on falling.
- Watch what medicines you take and review them with your doctor regularly. Watch for certain side effects that could increase your risk of falling such as dizziness.
- Have your vision and hearing screened regularly.
- Check your home and keep it safe. Remove any hazards that might cause you to fall. Increase your lighting. Install grab bars/rails anywhere that might be a fall risk.
- Talk to your family. Make them aware of your fall risk. Ask for their help making your home is safe and hazard free.
photocredit: sarcifilippo via pixabay.com