Dakota Foot & Ankle Clinic Blog
Posts for: November, 2016
November is Diabetes Awareness Month. Diabetes is an increasing epidemic in today’s society, with nearly 24 million Americans (1.25 million of them children) diagnosed as diabetic. With that in mind, it’s important to be aware of common symptoms. Here are some of the most common symptoms.
- Increased Urination and Thirst (due to the kidneys trying to rid themselves of the extra glucose in the blood)
- Unexplainable Weight Loss (increased sugar levels can cause rapid weight loss)
- Fatigue (glucose is being stored incorrectly, preventing cells from receiving that energy)
- Hunger (from drastic highs and lows with blood sugar levels)
- Numbness in the feet and/or hands (from constant high glucose levels, which damage the nervous system)
- Extremely dry and itchy skin
- Slow healing wounds (due to high blood sugar damaging blood vessels)
- Yeast infections (diabetes affects the immune system, leading to more susceptibility to infection)
- Irritability(due to low blood sugar)
- Vision problems (due to high blood sugar)
If you have Diabetes it is recommended to see a Podiatrist atleast once a year. If you are diabetic and would like to see Dr. Brian Gale, DPM, FACFAS Contact Us today to schedule an appointment at 701-255-3338.
Photocredt: Alexis via pixabay.com