Dakota Foot & Ankle Clinic Blog
Posts for tag: Pediure
Are you getting ready for your big vacation, hopefully somewhere tropical? Here are some pedicure tips to make sure your toes are looking their best.
- If going to a salon make sure to go right away in the morning. This is usually when the foot baths are the cleanest.
- Bring your own tools to the salon. If a salon doesn’t sterilize properly, bacteria and fungus can be transferred from person to person.
- Make sure your nails are trimmed straight across. This helps eliminate the risk of ingrown nails. If you do develop an ingrown nail it is best to see a podiatrist.
- If you are spoiling yourself and getting both a manicure and pedicure make sure to use different tools for each service. This prevents bacteria and fungus from transferring.
- Do not allow salons to use a foot razor to remove dead skin. If too much skin is removed it can lead to an infection.
- Don’t trim your cuticles. Cuticles serve as a barrier against bacteria. If you cut them it will increase your chance of infections.
- When cleaning under your nails make sure to use a wooden or rubber manicure stick. Anything with a sharp edge should be avoided so you don’t puncture the skin and leave it open to infection.
- Remove nail polish often. Leaving nail polish on does not allow the nail bed to breath and prevents moisture from getting in. This can cause nail fungus. If the nail fungus persists it is best to schedule an appointment with Dr. Brian Gale, DPM, FACFAS.
Follow these tips and your nails will be vacation ready. If you receive a pedicure and are worried you have an ingrown nail or fungal nails give Our Bismarck Office a call at 701-255-3338 to request an Appointment with Dr. Brian Gale, DPM, FACFAS